Thursday 31 October 2013

Task 2A Reflective Practice

Hi everyone.

So I started this task yesterday and read through  Reader 2 quite thoroughly. It's definitely a lot to try and sink in.
I know that I am both a visual and kinaesthetic learner. When I was at school my reports would always say things such as; 'Kim is always in her own world' or 'Kimberley is often away with the fairies'. It's true that if I am just talked at or just reading something (no images or diagrams) I really find it difficult to take anything in, and my mind will then regularly wander off into the world of 'Kimmy.'... I need to be hands on to learn anything or see things as diagrams, photos or images.
Initially I thought this task would be very difficult for me, but, I can be very quick to think on the negatives before I move onto the positives. Being a 'deep thinker', this task should actually be a breeze for me. I can be quite logical and try to think things out on the spot, a.k.a Reflection IN Action, which I have learned is probably the most difficult way to reflect for most. But as a dancer it's something that has grown in me, from quickly thinking up an alternative movement when I've forgotten the original one, to using this skill in every day life. I know that as a teacher I have had to think of things on the spot when I have lost the children's attention or enthusiasm, so have had to quickly change from my original lesson plan to something a bit more spontaneous. Reflection ON action is something new but I know will be very beneficial as a teacher, and writing out a journal will be a great way to start.

I imagine it can be quite difficult to reflect on something that perhaps happened at the beginning of the day to then reflect on in the evening. Therefore whenever something happens that I think I will find useful to reflect on I will jot down in my notes on my phone. It will be strange to be writing out my thoughts rather than just keeping them in my mind or talking about them.

Boud's phrase; "Writing is a means of puzzling through", made me think that I've often found that I'm OK at puzzling through my thoughts just in my head, but, I believe that writing these thoughts down will be ten times more powerful than just hoping for the best in my head. I trust in Boud's wise words.

The other thing that is a little scary is what Polanyi said; 'We can know more than we can tell'.
As a choreographer I find it easier to just lie down and listen to the music I want to choreograph to. I close my eyes and can see what movements I can use and what would be effective. I could never express why these movements work, it's just a case of knowing more than we can tell. It just works!
Gardner mentions about different intelligences, and I believe that my strongest is definitely Musical. When either learning a routine or teaching it, it's always easier to listen to the song or piece of music first.
 I too believe that I'm interpersonal, intrapersonal, bodily-kinaesthetic and a little bit logical-mathematical. I may write about parts in my day where I've used one or two of these intelligences and see how I can use them more for my own gain.

So with my journal I will start by referring to Kolb's cycle (pictured below) to help me on my way to reflecting accurately.




I will begin task 2B when I've gotten a little bit more used to writing my thoughts each evening.
This is something I definitely do not want to rush as I know how useful this will be in my professional life.

'Keeeeep blogging' xxx

4 comments:

  1. Hey Kimberley,

    Your blog made me laugh, I quote " Kimberley is often away with the fairies" this is exactly what my school reports used to say! or that I was too chatty? :)

    So I've begun my journal and I see you explain your self as a visual learner, me too! so I've used this approach in my journal. I have used my writing skills but always incorporated visual ways of reflecting on my days. Why not? its your journal and your learning. However I am really pushing myself with my writing skills. I am just beginning to read reader 2 as I had struggled to find it!! but a after blogging my confusion Emma helped me.

    I like the diagram you have put because it helps understand the layout of your reflection. The clearer you write; the easier to reflect.

    great read.

    Beth x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth.
      I actually hadn't thought of using anything visual in my journal. I think it might be involved in task 2B somehow. But that's an interesting thought. I will see how I can use visuals in my journal.
      It's funny that you used to get similar reports haha. It really can't be helped, especially when the teacher is incredibly boring and has no character or humour haha
      Take care!
      Kim x

      Delete
  2. Don't worry Kimberley I'm sure you weren't away with the fairies, you were probably just bored of the boring subjects and wanted to be dancing away somewhere!! Everyone is different and your better at other stuff then others.... Just think of it like that :-). I did one of those tests when I was at college to find out what kind of learner I was apparently I'm an all rounder. For me that wasn't helpful at all because they were trying to find out how we can learn better for our exams.

    I quite often sit down and think what have I done today and then realise I can't remember the smaller details of it ... Memory like a fish!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha.
      I can understand how frustrating that must have been, but hey you're an all rounder. That's fantastic!!
      Hope you're finding the course ok!

      Look forward to more posts by you.

      Kim x

      Delete