Thursday 17 April 2014

Task 5D

Having discussions with my SIG in and beyond the course, I've finally come up with some ethical ideas to use when conducting my inquiry.


 Keeping all ethics in mind these are some things that have come up;

Interviews and Observations

Before giving an interview and doing an observation, I am going to make sure that I have given them a verbal and written plan of what to expect when I'm interviewing, and what exactly I will be observing. 
Firstly I will make certain that they are assured that what I'm doing is not an assessment, it is a simple interview and strictly an observation to help with finding different points of views, practices and opinions, seeing as I am the inexperienced student wanting to learn from them and that's what I need to accentuate to not cause any pressure on their behalf. The pressure is all mine as it's me asking for their advice. I will make sure to not make any comments, but ask questions on any answers they give that will be necessary for my research making sure that I steer well away from any negativity which could alter their mindset.
I will give them the amount of questions there with be and roughly how long it will take. 
When planning when to do my observations, I will give them the skills that I am looking into; Stamina, Confidence, Physical strength and Imagination/Creativity, and let them decide which classes would be good for each skill for me to observe. For subjects such as physical strength, I will broaden it out by giving the teacher strengths in several parts of the body such as; upper body, stomach, ankles etc. This reduces some of the effort on their part.
Putting the ball in their court as the professional is key. I will also explain how long I expect to watch the class for and whether it's suitable for them.
I will ask permission on asking questions about what they feel they were lacking when they first went to dance school at a young age and what they felt they improved on and in what dance style, if they had any weaknesses at all. I think it's important to put the ball in their court in many things, especially for personal stuff as I'm fully aware most teachers won't want to give information about their strengths and weaknesses as a child.
I will give them open questions during the interview and no closed ones as the answers would be based on ideas that I have come up with and then them simply agreeing or not. That wouldn't help me much at all.
Before observing I will explain to the teacher what exactly I will be observing such as; exercises used, how many children seem to lack confidence, how many lack strength in certain areas etc. I will then explain what I wish to do with the information as detailed as possible.

Surveys and Questionaires.
Before giving out any surveys or questionaires (adults only,) I will give a detailed explanation verbally and make sure it's highlighted clearly on each form as to what the survey will be used for and to make sure that each child will be made anonymous and kindly ask parents to not put names on forms.
I will wisely avoid asking any questions in the parents questionaires and/or surveys that mean that they would have to criticise their child in some way. I will keep to positive questions such as which dance style they think their child enjoys the most and feels confident and strongest keeping away from thinking about their child's weaknesses.
I will make a declaration that all my findings will go wholly towards my course work inquiry.
I shall stick to necessary questions only.

Biographies (and Literature)
When looking up literature (which I plan to do first in my Inquiry plan) I will make sure that my findings are professional using the Library and other professional resources in Web 2.0 and only use parts that are necessary and valuable to my inquiry.
 I will only use my findings for my professional use in the BAPP course and not use any acts of plagiarism.

For safety I will show my DBS (once CRB) I.D and C.V. to all interviewees and parents involved.
I will give a time frame for the teachers for my research giving them the upper hand on when I can come in to do my interview/s and observation/s. I will also assure that the people involved in my inquiry have the right to leave the inquiry if they so wish to at any point. 
I will be honest, professional, patient and organized throughout my research.

My topic inquiry is; 
How can children improve stamina, physical strength, confidence and imagination through different dance styles? 

'Keeeeep blogging'

No comments:

Post a Comment