Wednesday 2 April 2014

Task 5A

Having a good read through the Reader has been incredibly helpful in getting me to fully understand the true meaning of ethics and/or ethical standards. It's given a good insight of the 3 main contexts; personal, professional and organizational ethics and I found the case study's within it a great deal of help with my understanding and found them easy to get my teeth into.

Teaching assistant in a Roman Catholic school
I have two jobs; my full time job at a catholic primary school and weekend job at a music and performing arts centre. I've decided to think on the subject of ethics at the catholic primary school as it's day to day and a lot more thought-provoking.
At the catholic school I am a TA and haven't been in this position for long, but what I believe are the general codes of practice are quite simple because it's a catholic school, therefore this means that religion is the core. The schools' moto/statement is; Christ at the Centre of our Life and our Learning. So, firstly I believe that the basic code of practice is by making sure that the children and adults say a morning, midday and afternoon prayer which is important in the ethical standards of the school. This is basic but a strict rule as without prayer and remembering that Jesus is at the heart of the school, then it could be any public school and it's a reminder for the children and adults to work with a christian attitude. I feel that we are obligated to encourage Jesus' ways and behaviour to the children even if we are not catholic or christian.
A big part of the discipline is done through Christ, but a lot of it seems to be just simple right and wrong which I suppose is in most schools, but with the added role model in the picture; Jesus. In the Reader it mentions that ethics are not always black or white, but grey. So I'm guessing that means that there's always a wrong in a right? 
If a child hits another child, and then the 'victim' child responds with a hit it's logical sense to discipline both children and explain that hitting somebody back isn't the answer and hitting full stop. Of course being 'just' can be seen as being even, therefore giving back what the other has given you, right or wrong, is a way to do things in some cultures, whereas, in the catholic school with Jesus being the centre means that it's not cultural, it's religious ethics or christian moral values. So Jesus would have turned the other cheek, so I encourage the children to do the same (metaphorically speaking) or to only take action by telling a teacher instead of a responsive hit back. Again, contradicting myself, this would be encouraged at any school to not hit back. So it's not just in religious ethics but in personal and professional too.
Being reminded of the catholic nature of the school means that I, as a member of staff must respect other people and treat others in a christian way, thus I believe I need to have the means to; help other staff members when they are in need and cooperate fully, welcome any new comers or visitors, show understanding when others are in need of it, treat all the children equally/justly, no back chatting or unkind gossip/judging, try not to have any hard feelings or keep any grudges and always give in any means even if I receive nothing in return (which can be really hard for some.) A lot of these things, when given 100% effort would, I believe, give a lovely working environment. The school is a very nice place to work, it has a lovely atmosphere which I believe is given through ethical standards.
Another thing which I believe is an appropriate code of action is if a situation occurs where a child comes to you with something very important but distressing, and possibly embarrassing, and asks you to promise to keep a secret of the information they plan to give, I believe that I am obliged to say that I promise to keep it a secret but would need to inform my superior. This is appropriate for the child's sake but not in a big part of the christian ways. In christianity lying is wrong; one of the 10 commandments. When promising to keep a secret with the intention of not keeping it is of course a lie. In the reader it gives the case study of the photographer. This has it's similarities, yet it's my duty to put the child's safety first whereas the photographer was required to not get involved with the little african child. I would think that in any ethical standards that human nature/instinct should come first: personal ethics. Even though in my position I shouldn't lie, I must if it means I could be helping a life. Surely that is the most christianly thing to do. For the photographer, in his position, he shouldn't get involved, but surely if there's the possibility to help a life shouldn't he have gone with his human instinct? One life was very likely doomed to perish anyway, but now two lives are lost purely because of guilt of not doing what he could. His personal ethics were pushed aside.
My personal ethics are very closely related to the professional ethics I feel are present at the school, as luckily I am a christian which makes things easier, but I also have a big conscience and don't like to think ill of people and treat them so.
I do think that it's important to keep personal, professional and organizational ethics as close as possible to aide peoples' lives.

Finding out the different codes of practice for the school I think will be most intriguing, but I don't believe at this stage that I will find anything that will surprise me.

'Keeeeeeep blogging'




No comments:

Post a Comment