Monday 17 February 2014

Task 4B SIG starter...

Hello
So I have started to build up my SIG. I only have about 5 people within there so far, but I don't believe that we need to have too many.
I have already begun discussing questions within my SIG, and one which has been the most beneficial so far is my question: 5.  Is verbal use just as important as the visual in teaching steps, styles and technique? 
Megan Lewis asked pretty much the same question, with a bit more depth. I asked her opinion on this question, and her response was;  "It is particularly beneficial for young children who do not have the technical, rhythmical or emotional knowledge to produce what you are verbally asking for. I think it also gains you the respect of your older students....I definitely do not dance with my seniors ANYWHERE near as much as I dance with my juniors - and there are some things that I can just no longer demonstrate. In this instance I use another student - which I find often works well at any level."
This response gave answers to two other questions, or are related to them somehow. Respect. I asked the question, 4. How do you gain a high respect from the students other than just good discipline? This was a question based on teaching in general. So from Megan' experience in Dance teaching, it's by showing your expertise which can get you respect. Which then asks a new question; How can you show your expertise in a classroom to gain the student' respect? 
She also gave an answer to the question that Chiara Vainella came up with, of which and I have just started to discuss with her on being able to teach dance without physically being able to dance. Megan answered this, obliviously by saying that she uses another student to demonstrate if they have the right idea. Which then made me alter the question to be more thorough; Can you teach dance with having an absolute disability? Not being able to dance AT ALL. 

A good start to Module 2. 

'Keeeeeeep blogging' 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kim!! Great to see your progress here on your blog!
    I'm creating a facebook group and would like to add you and @megan lewis so we can help each other out, ask and discuss our questions etc... can you add me facebook.com/chiara.vainella or tell me your facebook name??

    Many thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim, I think you have some really good interesting questions. Respect can be gained in so many different ways and you can't always predict how. Some teachers can gain respect from others by the way they look, the discipline they have, the experiences and jobs they have previously done. People who are not in the industry may not necessarily care what someone has done in their career so having a cv full of good job may not gain them respect from everyone.

    I think your questions about verbal and visual depends on the pupils it is being taught too. For example, if your are teaching ballet or tap to beginners they will not now what they are doing if you just sit on a chair and verbally teacher the lesson, they would benefit a lot more from visual. Where as, an expert dancer will know the language of their discipline and could easily do the steps being told to them.

    Your disability question is a tough one and to be honest I don't think you could teach with a disability and not being able to dance. If you know about dance and can verbally teach it, you may be able to teach to an extent but I think it is important for a teacher to be able to demonstrate movements. If a pupil was unsure the teacher in this case would not be able to correct them by showing them how to do it right. It is in a way like a science teacher teaching from a book but not being able to demonstrate lab projects etc.

    Good questions and I think you could get some good answers and opinions from different people.

    ReplyDelete