Tuesday 11 February 2014

Task 4A Questions

I have definitely referred to my competences and capabilities, mentioned in the Reader, when thinking about my questions. The things that I do know, with added knowledge needed and what new knowledge I am capable of doing.
I must admit that I have struggled to get myself going on this task, but this was the same with the last module, so I'll get there.
I have only done a very minor course in teaching, but plan to do my PGCE next year, so a lot of my questions are related to teaching. Perhaps stuff that I would learn about during my PGCE course anyway, but this would be a great head start!

Any adaptations of the questions to make them more thorough would be greatly appreciate, and of course any answers.

Teaching related questions:
  1. What similarities are there in teaching within a school and in a dance school?
  2. What other methods of disciplinary are there? For example; for autistic children.
  3. How long should you give yourself for Lesson Planning?
  4. How do you gain a high respect from the students other than from good discipline?
  5. Is there a way in teaching that can help students to be as honest a person as they can possibly be?
  6. How do you encourage students without making them overly confident? 
  7. How do you handle a situation where the children think that it's okay to hug the teacher?
  8. What are the best methods to praise children, for them to learn to do things well without always expecting praise or a reward?
  9. How many warnings should you give children/students before disciplinary action? 
  10. Should the phrase; 'Spare the rod, spoil the child' become more literally speaking in teaching?
  11. When did the rod stop being used?
  12. Do children have more rights than teachers?
  13. Can lowering your voice be just as effective as raising your voice?
Dance teaching related questions:
  1. How can I get enthusiastic about choreography without music being my inspiration?
  2. How could I make a deeply emotional piece of choreography to absolutely no music?
  3. What exercises can I do in dance for children aged 4 to 6 without any basic training?
  4. Where can I found out about illusions? I want to use illusion like effects in choreography for solo and troupe work.
  5.  Is verbal use just as important as the visual in teaching steps, styles and technique?
  6. What strategies or methods are there to boost a students confidence in performing?
  7. Is repetition in teaching a dance routine the best method to get the students to learn it quickly?
  8. Can you run a dance school successfully without employing a dance syllabus or examinations?

'Keeeeeeep blogging'

7 comments:

  1. I've merged a few of my teaching questions just to narrow them down slightly.
    Any thoughts, ideas or answers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kim!
    I have read through your blog and realised that some of our questions/ideas are similar. Thanks for adding me to your SIG! I feel that during this module we can discuss our ideas further to lead us to finding our line of inquiry for module 3 :) Good Luck with your questions, I'm going to ask some of my friends and teaching colleagues a few of my questions. Have you got people around you or in your workplace that you can test your questions out on??

    Speak Soon
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chiara
      How are you finding the second module?
      I think it' a great idea for us to share ideas. I'm still debating on dance teaching and choreography or general teaching in schools.
      yes I do have a few people that I can ask. I will be emailing fellow teachers my questions (the one's with the most experience) as I won't see anybody now until after half term.
      What do you think about the question that I have? Could I perhaps adapt them in some way?

      Thanks Chiara
      Kim x

      Delete
  3. I love your questions so far Kimberley, Personally... Dance teaching sounds like you can related to the most?.. afterall being able to teaches lies a lot in experience surly?.. I am also Figuring out my line of enquiry and currently thinking about the relationship between being a learner and an advisor, understanding the point in which you have learnt enough to advisor? ... sounding vague, the subject area is very large and i am yet to find out my specific line of enquiry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura
      Yes it's definitely hard. I do believe that finding out more on the dance teaching and setting up a dance school is going to be incredibly beneficial to me, seeing as I will hopefully do my PGCE in teaching next year.
      I do hope that you find your specific line of inquiry, even though it's a large subject area.
      Good luck!!!

      Delete
  4. Hi Kimberley,

    I thought id comment as your questions are brilliant. Im really interested in your questions as I'm wanting to inquire more into the different styles of teaching between a classroom teacher and dance teacher. Reading through your questions really helped me to think outside the box, as i have only managed to come up with a few questions.

    3.What exercises can I do in dance for children aged 4 to 6 without any basic training?

    When i teach saturday ballet i always like to awaken the childrens imagination by using a piece of music and verbally setting a scene, and find myself always surprised with the movements. I always find all childrens interpretation of the music are different with the style of music, and feel this helps within being able to relate to the music and improve their own musicality.

    I wondered if maybe i could be included in your SIG group? If its not too much trouble just getting started on this, and not 100% on the process fellow students are doing it?

    Hope your tasks and module two are going well. Brilliant questions that im sure will generate plenty of insightful answers.

    Speak soon

    Ashleigh Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashleigh
      Absolutely. I'm still short within my SIG so yes! I will add you to mine.
      Thank you for your answer. That's very helpful, as I teach this age range on a saturday at a music centre and always get stuck on any activities. So thank you, that helps my job too.
      I am thinking of going more towards dance teaching as like I said in my reply to Laura, I plan to do my PGCE in teaching next year, so there will be a lot of those questions answered I'm sure, but setting up my own dance school, isn't something that I can do a course in.
      Good luck and keep in contact
      Kim

      Delete