Monday 16 December 2013

Task 3C Sources of information

http://melaniebrown10.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/3c-5-most-important-sources-of.html
http://annatimms.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/task-3c-my-5-most-important-sources-of.html

I've decided on my approach to this task by the influence of the two blogs above; Melanie Brown and Anna Timms. They have both put their sources of information into a list of top sources of information.


1. SHAZAM via the internet.
http://teachingcarla.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/my-sources-of-information.html
In Carla Mason's blog [see link] she mentions about the ever changing styles of music and how she has to keep up with the times, especially being a teacher (like myself). The Internet is so very important for this as, like I've mentioned before, unlike Carla's method on just remembering the words and googling them up later, I use the fantastic Shazam application on my smartphone to grasp a song that I've heard in a shop or at work, of which I can then use for my teaching and choreography. I can know the name of the song right there and then.
It's become a very important source of information for me, and naturally my smartphone and the internet are equally as important, as without them, I can't use Shazam. I do think that it's vital to find out different methods to make your life easier in any profession. I only found out about Shazam when I heard a song that I've heard before come on in a shop and I was absolutely kicking myself because nobody I was with knew what it was. Fortunately, one of them knew about Shazam, and TA DAA! Meeting with people has been mentioned in the Module 1 Handbook as a good source of technology to use to get information, and the information I have received from doing this is another source of information. It just proves that if you make that effort to affiliate with others, which in turn can be an information-network, other sources of information can emerge.

2. TEACHERS/EMPLOYERS
I haven't been long in the teaching profession, therefore, I have a lot to learn about the profession. Fellow teachers who are more experienced and well qualified are extremely useful sources of information for me. They are like my support. I am wanting to boost my qualifications to be able to teach in more established environments with a more secure wage, hence I value any information that I receive from them, relating to qualifications that will suit my desired career path. They are also useful in getting a variety of different methods to use in teaching that may be worth my trying, to improve my teaching skills.
I think the more teachers I get to know the more profound the knowledge will be. You can't just trust in one teacher as they may have errors in their knowledge, even if they've been teaching for many years. It is like the Web 2.0 which we've worked on in the beginning. The more research you do, the more specific the outcome will be. I think to help make truth of what other teachers have said, it's best to do a bit of research via the internet for confirmation. Employers and fellow teachers are in my top sources of information also because they keep me in the know and may know of new job opportunities which is always a bonus.

3. FAMILY/FRIENDS/FRIENDS OF FAMILY AND FRIENDS
I am extremely fortunate to have a family of teachers. Like I've mentioned before, my mum, dad, brother sister, auntie, uncle and nan are/were all teachers. It's not even that it's been pushed upon me to do it, it's just something I've always wanted to do ever since I was about ten years old. Runs in the blood. We are all also musical with the exception of my nan. They are my most reliable source of information as we are all very close and will benefit from any information on teaching skills. I must admit that I very rarely ask for their help and advice. Being related, our qualities in teaching are similar and with that in mind, I can feed off their ideas greatly. They each have their strong points. My sister is very organized and knows a lot of useful job websites which is, naturally, very vital. My brother knows his musical tools (Cubase of which I've mentioned before). He was the one who gave me that forever handy information. My mum teaches a variety of age groups, therefore, she is full of convenient knowledge on how she deals with each age group and how she portrays herself. I don't copy every single approach that she advises, but I work with them to suit my ways.
There are of course friends and friends of family and friends. Most of the people my family socializes with have similar interests, or are teachers, and some of my friends are looking into the same profession as me and friends of theirs. Like with my fellow teachers, these people are all great for keeping me in the know, having news of possible job positions and wonderful for support. Giving each other ideas and being sympathetic makes friends a more personal supportive network. They keep me sane.
4. NEWSPAPER/JOB SITES
So, again the internet plays a vital role when it comes to job sites and new information. Indeed.com and TES are great sites with some wonderful dance teaching opportunities. As you can see the internet plays such an important role in most of my information sources, and for most individuals. It is one of my main sources of information. Newspapers also keep me in the know and advertises many teaching jobs. I used to get The Stage for performance opportunities. I always found that it had more adverts that The Stage website, which shows that the internet isn't always the most useful source, but in most cases it's very important.

5. BAPP BLOGS
Blogging has of course been a new and very useful source of information. I have found out about different ways that others communicate, different views and ideas, how they deal with certain things, what things they benefit from etc. But, blogging has been the source of information that helps me adapt my own thinking and ideas. Going through other students' blogs, who are further into the course, is interesting as they communicate in a different way with their fellow students and some of their layouts and ideas are much different. It's given more variety towards my thinking and has given me even more beneficial information.

Conclusion
I honestly wouldn't know what I'd do without my phone, laptop and internet. How did they cope a hundred years ago? Well I guess the answer is; that they would have had to walk or cycle down to the shop to buy the latest newspapers with job opportunities and they would send letters to friends and family via the post to keep in the know when they live so far. They would have to remember the lyrics to the songs to try to find out what it is and who it's by and go to their local record store for information. We still have these options today, but technology has come so far that we don't have to do all of that walking, cycling, posting and noting down.
Meeting with family and friends hasn't changed much. We still find it the most beneficial when we meet up rather than talking over the phone or on the internet. It's a shame how facebook, twitter or texting can take over peoples' lives and they become lazy and don't make the effort to go out and actually physically be amongst their friends and family. Talking of affiliation in the previous task, if there is a lack of close affiliation, you can become lonely or are less able to cope with stress. (Gunnar, 2000) But in the subject of sources of information, I believe that communicating by phone, internet or in person are all just as constructive, depending on the subject

Other source of information.
Carla Mason, [see link in Shazam] spoke about Television being a useful source of information for her. 
I think this is a great source, and I don't know why I don't use this to my advantage enough. I don't watch as much television as whence I used to, which is a very reasonable explanation. She said; 'Films have a lot of great soundtracks'. I agree entirely. I know of the film 'August Rush' having a great soundtrack, also I remember a 1992 movie called 'Wuthering heights' which also has a great theme tune. Very emotional.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srg_R-NoXGg Listen from 1:10.
I disagree that the television only plays popular music. I don't believe this is true at all. There are so many adverts that play music that I've never heard and of course soundtracks in movies that have been composed specifically for that particular movie.
Television will be used as a source of information (music or the news) for me in future. I will start making the effort to doing this as I know it will serve me very well.

'Keeeep blogging'
x

No comments:

Post a Comment