Wednesday 4 December 2013

Task 3A Current Networks

This is the subject in which I initially thought; "Networks!! Arghhh I don't think I have a lot of those" when actually looking up on the different articles from the reading lists and the Reader itself, I began to realise: "Oh, so networks aren't just associated with technology". (I'm sure I wasn't the only one who thought this..) If I was, well, what a 'numpty'.


  • What are the current and different ways (tools) that you have, or do, engage your professional network?
 I have my technology tools such as my phone and computer for networks such as; Facebook, Email and WhatsApp. I tend to use WhatsApp mainly with my teaching colleague of whom I work alongside directly, and we discuss our plans for our next class and such. We also, unintentionally, learn about each others' different experiences and use them in some way in our ways of teaching, approaches and ideas. On page 8 of Reader 3, it suggests reading an extract from George Siemens on connectivism. The thing that really stood out to me in this article was a quote by Karen Stephenson. It rings very true to myself and I'm sure to everyone. She said "Since we cannot experience everything, other people's experiences, and hence other people, become the surrogate for knowledge." We can all refer to this with not only our professional networks but our social networks too. I believe that it's more critical in professional networking. Via email I connect with my boss, employer and potential employers, and of course some of my old acquaintances, with whom I have some corresponding work interests. Through all of my colleagues, friends and acquaintances there is potential in finding new contacts and knowledge of which I believe to be very favorable. By facebook I have contacts of all professional and social. I don't contact via facebook so much on the professional side, but I have had a few useful contacts emerge from family, friends and friends-of-friends. Within more face-to-face ways to engage my professional network, I have of course my two jobs and not so common social activities. My job in retail has lead me to a few people, such as customers and work colleagues who are in the performing business in some way, and we often discuss our past experiences and future career plans. Even though I haven't gotten any contacts from these people, or learned anything that constructive tome, it is still good to have people that I can affiliate with on similar career passions. However, there is still potential for these people to be useful on a career basis. Of course, within my teaching position, I have many other teachers around me with the same or similar interests. The students and parents of the students can also be of use for me on a professional level, but for now it's more of a slight social connection with me being the informative one. A lot of the parents drop their children off and when it comes to collecting their child at the end of the day, it's purely a 'question and answer' basis on how their child is doing, with perhaps a few jokes on the side. However, I do have a few parents who tell me in advance how their child has been acting or feeling recently, which in turn, will help me on how I am to deal with that child on that particular day.
Probably my most valuable people within my professional network are my family. Both my Mum and Dad and my two siblings are teachers and have a real passion for performing in some way. There is always face-to-face communication, emailing, texting and talking over the phone with my family when it comes to talking about work and even speaking of it, somehow, indirectly.
I do find that I am very weak at my networking abilities and skills, especially when it comes to the people I know who have more distant, but related interests. This is something I need to work on and understand better for me to benefit from my network communities. I know how important various different skills are of which I've gotten from Siemens 2004 extract. (George Siemens, WBS3730  in Bapp arts, reading lists).

  • What are the established (and different) ways that others use their networks, especially if they are more established or experienced practitioners that you admire? 
My sister who is seven years older than me, is a very organized person, and she seems to get different types of opportunities from all sorts of networks. She is a Primary School supply teacher, but also does singing gigs in many different venues via a few different resources (agents, friends, fellow teachers and audience members via email,phone etc). I know for a fact that she uses Facebook, especially to build up her possible convenient contacts for the future. She has kept in contact with so many of her past collage and university friends and associates. She has sparingly referred me to a few people on facebook in the past, but sadly no benefits came from it. Some of the audience members (the guaranteed part of her networking)  have also been beneficial in getting her other gigs and opportunities and giving information that influences her approaches to different aspects of her working life. She makes special efforts to try and talk to as many people as she can, keeping in mind that some people are extroverts and some introverts, so using her ability to sense a shy person from a confident one. In her supply teaching, she uses the benefits of the different school policies and behaviour's to adapt her teaching skills in many ways such as; experimenting. She is always accepting advice and criticism from all of her superiors. Because my sister cares about her job, and really shows it by cooperating and being initiative, the schools recommend her and always want her back. Her husband also works with children, but not as a teacher. So both of them profit off each other to build up there skills and ways to work with certain children. They also know people that are very likely to be useful for each other in some way.
My other half is a manager in retail, and he has many different ways to use his networks. Firstly he speaks to other managers one to one, about how they cope in certain situations and how they've been hitting targets etc. He gains quite a bit of knowledge by doing this and tries it out for himself, almost like a Tit for Tat method, which is mentioned by Axelrod in The Prisoners' Dilemma. (Robert Axelrod, WBS3730 in Bapp arts, reading lists) There is a lot of competition in his work, so it really is like a game. He also has many meetings which he uses to gain understanding on products and it's uses, and therefore debating what he can actually do with this knowledge to better himself and to be top of the region. In the meetings, his superiors will talk about what standards they expect and what approaches they want them to use, and give information on good practice that they have seen from other managers. He speaks with his manager one on one via email and phone quite often to find out more information that can benefit his work, and asks for advice.
The customers also play a big role in his networking as they give feedback about their service that they received etc, hence he learns from anything positive and builds on it, and learns anything negative and corrects it. He keeps in contact with a few of his past colleagues, and use them to get information on other potential job positions going, of which are better paid or closer to home. 

  • Are there methods, approaches and technologies that you use socially that might apply and help you develop your professional networking?
Facebook is definitely a technology tool that I can use to help build up my professional networking. I do have plenty of people on there that could be of use in professional ways other than social communicating, such as people who are stage directors, stage technicians, sound and lighting people etc. They may know things that come about that will be useful for my career in performing arts teaching. They may have hearsay or assured knowledge about events of which they are looking for children to perform in a show. Through them, I have one foot in the door so to speak on giving my students an opportunity to perform in front of a possible large audience.
I often speak with my best friend on beauty products and routines. What hair products we use, or what hair dye we use, and make up etc. We always practice with something that the other has used to see for ourselves whether it's right thing to use for us individually. My best friend also works with children but of a very young age, and she has been doing this for many years now. So there is some use of my best friend in a professional manner, as I can learn from her experiences with children. Trial and error, the same as with the beauty products.
When I'm with a bunch of people, I tend to be quite inquisitive about how their lives are going, for example; their love life. I find out all sorts of information on their relationships and how they deal with certain situations and arguments. Some of it is rather typical, but sometimes it's rather unique and it makes me think about my own relationship and how I deal with situations. Sometimes I gather up some of their unintentional advice, and see how it works within my relationship. This is advice on my own reactions to things within the relationships and to perhaps stop and think before I do or say anything. I can use this method in asking about how their working life is going, and seeing where it leads. 

  • When you reflect upon current networks, can you think about the motives of others to be in the network and what values and purpose they have in mind? 
I actually have an acquaintance, of whom I met at an audition once, who always contacts me on facebook to find out about closed auditions. She doesn't have an agent and sometimes just sneaks in to a closed audition with me. I'm not close to her really, but we have the connection of dance. Her motive is clear, and her value and purpose is to get noticed and to get a job. There aren't as many people in closed auditions so this is a great, rather sneaky opportunity to her. I'm sure she isn't the only one of course.
I also work side a girl who as not long graduated from stage school. She just wants a job, either teaching or performing. Naturally she always asks me questions and asks for advice, particularly on the performing side. I give her contacts and websites to visit that can give her more of a chance of getting auditions and interviews.
Generally, people are in it for themselves in a professional network, but are also there as a guide to others.
In social networking, it's about sharing experiences and asking advice in more usual everyday things. Affiliation is more for the social in most people's lives. I believe that people who are more introvert benefit from the technology form of networking a lot more than extroverts, purely because extroverts want to get out there and be noticed and want to learn this way.
  • What would your ideal network look like and why?
I have the similar views as Laura-May Houghton on this. My ideal network would have people working as a team. Building each other up by the help of advice and constructive criticism. Sharing knowledge that may be very beneficial for other people in the same business or similar. Being competitive, but in a non-conniving way so that you keep shaping and piecing together things that you are learning, 'Tit for Tat' but with an equal amount of selfishness and selflessness. All of this helps each other to grow and also figure out goals that you want to achieve.


  • What realistic things could you do to work towards developing your ideal network?
Perhaps I can create a page on Facebook that can bring all sorts of people together with similar interests and careers. In a way this can promote yourself and get noticed and can bring really beneficial contacts together to work together in a non immediate way. Sometimes not meeting people face to face can be an easier way to make a team as you don't have the possible issues of not getting along with people, character wise.
I can also ask around for advice from people who may have done a similar thing or plan to. Maybe I can team up with somebody to create the ideal network.

  • What tools and methods do you need to use? What do you know about your current, and intended networks, and importantly, what do you not know?
I could really do with using the Tit for Tat method in a bigger and much broader way. I only tend to take advice from people or take on something they've said in small dosages. Perhaps I have little determination and definitely not a lot of nerve to try new things in full. I really need to.
I need to use my inquisitiveness in my professional networks and ask into peoples careers and people they may know.
There is definitely more that I don't know in my current and intended networks. For example, I don't know how many potential connections are out there for me. I don't believe I have many connections, but it's probably all hidden from me, just because I haven't gotten myself out there to try and find them.
I want to teach. I know that there must be some connections to other teachers or people associated with schools or dance schools.


'Keeeeep Blogging' 




No comments:

Post a Comment